The Art Care Package I created was for my twenty-one year old cousin, Marlene who lives in Riverside. The package is had more than 20 things inside. Overall, I had a lot of fun creating the art care package. At first I had a difficult time because I didn’t really know what I wanted it to have, but once I started thinking through it, it wasn’t so hard. My cousin and I are like sisters and have a lot of same interest. In addition, I always tell her what the next art project is so I though it would be cool if I sent it to her instead. I essentially sent her five things that I made myself, which were the flip book, the sketching of the tree, the black and white photograph of a bench, the pieces of jewelry and the 5 glazed beads. The book signified the first book we ever read together, and the Harry Potter picture represents our all time favorite series. The postcard of Coachella was to remind her that one day we’ll go. The tickets to the Muesum of Death and our Twilight ticket are bittersweet moments we had together. The dream cather was for her to add it to her collection. All in all, the contents of the care package all symbolize something to both of us.
1. How is sending someone an ACP similar to sending someone a Snapchat?
– It’s similar in the sense that the majority of the time, your sending the snap to someone your comfortable talking to. I mean, you don’t send a random person a snapchat. In addition, when you send the snapchat you want the person to enjoy seein the photo as well as enjoying seein th ACP.
2. How is sending someone an ACP different from sending them a Snapchat?
– It’s different because the moment the person opens their snapchat they only have a very limited time to witness the photograph. The ACP on the other hand, can be seen for as long as one wants to see the content. They can take their time seeing the material for as long as they’d like.
3. What do you think of ephemera? Is it precious? Or trash? Does it gain in value over time? Does your grandma’s parking ticket from half a century ago mean something to you? What about her tickets from Woodstock? What might your grandkids think if you one day gave them the bead bracelet you wore at Coachella?
– I think emphemera is precious. Therefore, I find it extremely valuable specifically overtime. I find items like tickets and wristbands valuable because it reminds me of the event I attend and the bittersweet moments. Don’t get me wrong, the pictures are just as memorable. However, when you have something physcial from the event, I find it more memorable.
4. Is there a difference between art that is seen by many people, like a painting in the Museum of Modern Art, and art that is seen by few, like the ACP you send to someone?
– Is there a difference? Yes. The stuff I sent to Marlene, was very personal and significant to my life. Now I’m not saying it the artist didn’t feel that way. However, they may be comfortable expressing their art to the public, while wouldn’t. At least not for thousands, even millions of people to see it.
5.You can take a Snapchat and a friend on the other side of the globe can view it, all within seconds. To make an ACP and send it even to a nearby friend will take days. Does this time and effort difference mean something? How is fast better? How is slow better?
– Yes, the time and effort do make a huge difference because patience is key. When you want to create an amazing art piece, your not going to finish it in just a couple of seconds. In fact it’ll take days in order for you to be satisfied with what you make. Therefore, the best things in life are things that you have to wait for. In this case, waiting for the ACP will be something to look forward to in the mail. It’ll be completely unexpected and bittersweet.
6. People sometimes say things like prepare a meal with love. Can you prepare a meal with love as fast as you can get food at a McDonald’s drive-thru? Does an ACP have the possibility of containing a sort of “love” different from a Snapchat?
– No, preparing a meal with love takes time and love form someone you know. Individuals who work at Mcdonals view the orders as task that need to be checked of a list. That isn’t preparing a meal with love in any shape way or form.
-Yes, the ACP does have the ability of containing a sort of “love” different compared to Snapchat. And that’s because with the ACP you have the potential to make the content personal and hold a significance. Sending someone a snapchat on the other hand, it a simple form a media. It’s a picture that can hold significance however not for a long period of time.
Close ups of the material from the Art Care Package: